Thursday, May 23, 2013

1993 Sin-gle

I read an interesting little snippet the other day and I'm not sure what it says about our culture. The emergence of a new freedom? Or the loss of something we may not want to lose?
See what you think.
The article had to do with the tumultuous life of reality TV show personality Kim Kardashian. This the first commentary I've written about her. I've been a little behind the curve on Kim. From what I understand, there's quite a bit of curve, and quite a bit of behind, to be behind.
I'm not a cultural Neanderthal, and insensitive to the fact that women are indeed more than the sum of their anatomical parts. I only mention it becuase she and her family spend a lot of time exploiting just those features of her physique.
Here is the snippet I found disturbing.
"Kim Kardashian and Kris Humphries are finally divorced. Humphries reportedly dropped his demands for an annulment because he felt sorry for his visibly pregnant ex. He reportedly walked away with nothing so the case could be resolved in time for the NBA playoffs. Kim will now be able to give birth to her first child with rapper Kanye West in July as a single woman."
Well thank goodness for that. To be free to play in the playoffs. And free to give birth to a child conceived in an adulterous affair as a single woman.
As I said, it's a new freedom. There was a time when folks that had been "living in sin" would rush into wedlock to "give the child a name." Sometimes that was a mistake. Sometimes it made the child feel more valued, that two adults would put aside selfish things to provide for another.
Kim's either taking the sin out of single. Or sticking it in...
America, ya gotta love it.

No comments: