Wednesday, May 08, 2013

1982 Faux Efficiency

Big organizations have lots of problems. Perhaps because of their bigness. A couple of examples:
I called the phone number for a certain department of a certain city. A big department with lots of programs. My call went right to one of those recordings which said all of their representatives were busy, then kicked in to an on-hold recorded loop. It began to list the various options that the department was offering that I might want to find out more about.
That's where it got funny. I had dialed, let's say, 555-5500 to get the department. But at the end of each suggestion for other choices in the department's offerings it said to call 555-5500. The number where I was on hold told me to call the number where I was on hold to find out more about the stuff they told me about while I was on hold.
Let's just say I didn't hang up and call back.
Another example of the negative consequences perhaps caused by bigness: An interesting story I read about a problem with fur. Actually it was problem with fake fur. Or perhaps fake fake fur.
The Nieman-Marcus Group recently settled with the FTC in a case where they were charged with selling real fur, but labeling it as fake fur. I'm guessing Nieman's buying department picked up a good deal on a big buy of pelts, then their public relations department decided that PETA would never give up on creating bad publicity if they peddled them as the real thing.
Unfortunately, Nieman already had a lot of skin in the game so voila'...Faux Faux Fur. In this case a double negative bit of publicity. And a testimony to the power of PETA.
How fur we've come.
Bigger isn't always better.
America, ya gotta love it.

No comments: