Wednesday, May 21, 2014

2231 Slowpokes


When I was growing up I lived in a place that eventually became a retirement community with lots of folks past the age of 70. It made it difficult out on the road as oldsters tend to drive more slowly. When I was a sixteen-year-old, it seemed even worse. I was learning to drive about the same time everyone else on the road was forgetting.

So I guess when I found myself behind a slowpoke the other day I should have been able to contain my road rage better. After all, I'm nearly that age myself now, and should have more empathy and compassion.

I'd come upon a car creeping along the freeway, progressing deliberately at a stately 45 miles-per-hour. At least he was in the right-hand lane. Although his progression wasn't actually that steady, he was mildly swerving from side to side, like his doddering brain was in drift mode.

I say "he" because through his rear window I could see he had on a baseball cap, pulled down low like all old men do. The hat looked oversized, I assumed as a normal attribute of his shrunken cranium. 

"Damn prunehead!" I cursed, the last vestiges of adolescent angst raging out of my own wrinkled lips.

As I swerved around him at the legally tolerated five miles-an-hour over the speed limit, I almost crashed as I realized my mistake. It wasn't an old person at all. It was a teenager, oversized baseball cap slightly off center, looking down at his lap, doing what I can only guess was texting. And, of course, driving slowly and erratically at the same time.

When I was young the old people were driving slow. Now that I'm old, the young people are driving slow. 

And they’re both driving me crazy...

America, ya gotta love it. 

No comments: