Thursday, May 15, 2014

2227 Spita


From time to time I see ads on the airwaves that I find interesting or odd or just plain bizarre.

Like one I saw for a product called Stacy's Pita Chips. I'm sure you've seen them in the stores. They are chip-shaped things made of what appear to be dried-up pitas. I always kind of thought of them as like middle eastern croutons or Beirut biscotti.

Turns out they're not just dried. At least according to the commercial I saw. They're baked that way. The ad says, "There's an art to the perfect pita chip." Then they say that batches are "freshly prepared." Um, I'm not sure there's any other way. If you're preparing it, at that point it makes it fresh. They go on to say that after the batch is freshly prepared it is "gently rested" overnight, halved, cut, and baked again. 

So. Obvious question here. Can you vigorously rest? How is it one goes about "gently" resting things. I would hate to think the dough or whatever is harshly rested. Forced to toss and turn through the night like an insomniacal pita chip wannabe. Wracked with nervousness that it won't make the final Stacy perfect pita cut.

The other ad I saw was when I was watching a program on my computer. It was pop-up ad. And it was for Spam. The food. It's tagline was "Spam Can," which I thought was a clever play on words since Spam comes in a can. 

But then I tried to X out of the ad and it wouldn't let me.  It stayed on my screen against my will; unsolicited, unasked for, and very annoying. The Spam ad actually became spam.

Last time I make Spam dip for my pita chips.  

America, ya gotta love it. 

No comments: