Thursday, May 08, 2014

2222 Somemore


Let's talk S'more. Actually let's get around to talking s'more. First I'd like to talk about Samoas. The Girl Scout Cookie. Crisp cookies coated in caramel, sprinkled with toasted coconut, and striped with dark chocolaty coating.

I miss them already. Darn. We've passed the Girl Scout Cookie window, and are destined to wait another year to enjoy fresh renderings of our favorite tidbits.

This year, when I was asked to buy some by a colleague shilling for his kid, I put in an order for Caramel deLites. He came back the next day with some Samoas. "Same thing," he said to my anxious query.

Turns out different bakeries make the cookies and they change the names of some types. A fact that somehow escaped me in all my Girl Scout Cookie addiction dealings. 

Caramel deLites are also called Samoas. That's fine with me, but of course it got me thinking about the origin of the name. Is it Samoa because Samoa sounds almost like s'more and it's meant to call back those scouting times around the campfire making flaming, gooey, finger-and lip-scorching marshmallow treats?

Possibly. Or is just a simple phonetic rendering of the name they stole from the original s'more.  "Samoa" sounds not unlike "some more." Give me Samoa.

Or is there actually some geographic intent involved? An opportunity for Girl Scouts to learn about the world through cookies. There's actually a USA Girl Scouts Overseas division presence in Pago Pago, the capital of American Samoa.

Samoas contain coconut shavings and the islands of Samoa grow lots of coconut palms. They also grow cocoa beans so the chocolate in the cookies is referenced too. Not sure on the caramel.

There’s another reason I like the name Samoa. Because Caramel deLite sounds like a diet cookie. Eww…

America, ya gotta love it. 

No comments: