Wednesday, May 07, 2014

2221 Care Age


They say young folks are the prime demographic advertisers like to appeal to. They are earnest in their efforts to buy products for the first time; cars, washing machines, apartment furnishings. And you can't make that much money selling Depends and Spanx to jaded oldsters.

I'm not sure I understand the young person mind anymore. At my age of curmudgeonhood, most of my decisions are no longer fueled by hormones. No giant surges of testosterone informing my every judgment. My cognitive brain, not my lizard brain, is now in charge of the majority of my actions. In other words, I close the loop.

Case in point. Was at a coffee shop with a friend the other day, and I ordered said coffee, paid a young person, who then was supposed to make it freshly dripped. Somewhere in that process he got industrious and was earnestly and passionately stocking beans and changing trash can liners. Very busy. Completely forgot to finish making our coffee. 

My friend went up to ask and the guy, chagrined, got right to it. A few minutes later he delivered the coffee to our table and said, "Sorry about that, I just want you to know that I cancelled the sale and these are on me." 

"Thanks," we both said to the youth. Then, when he went away, I turned to my friend and said, "I paid cash." 

The young person hadn't given me any cash, so I guess he was rewarded for both his mistake and his subsequent generosity with an extra three dollars of mysterious tip money when he cashed out that day. Like I say, he didn't actually close the loop.

But hey, his hormone-infused brain at least made him earnest in his attempts to do right, and that’s grounds for something. 

America, ya gotta love it. 

No comments: