Friday, March 28, 2014

2193 Two-n-One


The machines of today are great examples of how we like to live. Like the Keurig machine. Geared towards the cult of the individual. Just one cup of coffee please, and make it mine. Forget the whole pot growing stale in the warmer, I'll wait forever for each cup as long as I alone can enjoy it.

Which reminds me. I think my Keurig needs cleaning. It's starting to dribble like an old man with prostate issues. 

Then there's the Two-in-One. An example of how we like to have it all. I saw an ad for one (or two) recently. A computer laptop and/or tablet maker was proclaiming its virtues. It's a tablet. It's a laptop. All rolled into one. Or snapped. 

They call it a Two-in-One. I guess because the term "two-way" was taken. Though I'm not sure what that means. 

I was glad to see it. Tablet users had fun, but finally came to realize that you need more if you want to be serious about computing. More memory, more programs like Excel and Word, an actual keyboard, more substantiveness to get to work.

But it's still cool to be pinching and swiping and flamboyantly gesturing with a tablet. Touchscreens, videos, and picture taking satisfy the creative and fun side of folks. 

Solution? Get both. Get a Two-in-One. The grand compromise. And no heavier than an ordinary boring laptop. 

Snap together, unsnap them apart. It's like the McDLT. Keep the hot side hot and the cold side cold. Hot creativity and cold hard work. The keyboard side up front for business. The tablet snapped off the back for fun.

Wait a minute, it's not a two-in-one. It's not a McDLT. Business in the front, party in the back? 

It's a mullet. 

Living the dream...

America, ya gotta love it. 

No comments: