Friday, March 15, 2013

1944 Personal Growth

I was on the Google news page the other day. I saw something odd. It was from Google, a line inserted between two news categories, and it said: "Want better news? Create a Google Account to get Google News personalized for you!"
And I thought, we are headed to hell in a handbasket on the devil's bicycle.
This is what's tearing us apart. All of us clustering into little tiny tribes. Only listening to people who agree with us and shutting out all the folks who don't. The equivalent of an ostrich sticking his head in the sand. But the sand is of his own making.
News is supposed to be new. New information expands your world. Informing you about changes, some of which may be uncomfortable. But that discomfort gets you out of your established patterns and helps you grow.
And if you don't grow, you grow old and die. I want personal growth. So I keep my Google news page on the broadest possible settings. Science, health, politics, from all sides of the media.
Where else would I learn that Americans lost 30 billion dollars worth of cellphones last year? Their fancy personalized Google news page didn't seem to help them overcome basic forgetfulness. It's hard to believe, with the darn things never being out of their obsessive hands, that they could manage to lose that many.
Or where would I learn that the average person carries 100 trillion good bacteria inside him? And they weigh a total of 6 pounds?
Don't blame your bacteria for your extra weight. Think of them as revenge against Mark Zuckerberg. You have 100 trillion very close friends.
Didn't I tell you news could help expand your world?
Six pounds of inner bacteria. Talk about personal growth.
America, ya gotta love it.

No comments: