Friday, April 17, 2015

2447 In a Glaze


I like that folks are so resourceful when it comes to naming days.  I don't just mean Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, etc.   Or specially named holidays like Christmas or New Years.  Or fun ones like Mardi Gras or April Fools Day.  Or even Hallmark Holidays like Mothers Day and Grandparents Day.

Always interesting that mothers and fathers get a whole day to themselves but grandparents have to share a day.  I guess there aren't enough of them left to generate sufficient sales to redo a whole section of the store.

No, I mean days that give you good ideas, like International Talk Like a Pirate Day or National Coffee Cake Day.  Or the one I heard about on April 6th, Plan Your Own Epitaph Day.

What a great do-it-yourself thing to do.  People talk all the time about making pre-funeral arrangements.  Dispassionately and coldly deciding whether to be buried or cremated.  What plot you want to finish the story of your life.  Why not the words you want on your tombstone, or read at your funeral?

I already know what mine is.  I'd like my funeral to have pictures of all the wonderful times and family trips we had together with all my kids and all my divorced wives and have a big banner over the top that says: "It seemed like a good idea at the time." 

Then I'd like to be cremated.  But here's the cool thing:  Afterwards I'd like part of my ashes used to make a ceramic creation.  Like they did with Mt. St. Helens ash when it blew. 

I could be both the cremains and the vessel used to hold them.  Talk about a metaphor for my self-sufficient life.  Be your own urn. 

That would really make my day. 

America, ya gotta love it. 

No comments: