Wednesday, October 15, 2014

2329 Long Balls


There must be a name for my mental disorder. I'm not sure other people go through life asking that proverbial phrase "What the heck?" as often as I do.

Like recently when I heard a sports story on the radio about baseball. The sportscaster said a certain individual had hit a grand slam homer. He went on to say that it was the first grand slam hit by a shortstop in post regular season game play ever.

What the heck?

I know baseball is statistics OCD but really? Someone has kept track of grand slams and shortstops in the entire history of major league baseball? One would assume they've kept track of the other 8 field positions and long balls as well. And there have been a lot of games. Where did they store all this data before computers? Every warehouse in Cooperstown? 

Another what-the-heck. I was driving by Jack-in-the-Box and they had a sign that said they were giving away free Seahawk antennae balls. Cool, I said to myself, I'm gonna get one. 

Then I looked at my car and realized I don't have an antennae. I looked at all the cars around me on the street and in the Jack-in-the-Box parking lot and none of them did either. What the heck?  

Sounds to me a like a promotion that won't cost Jack. Unless they've already ordered the balls. I suppose I could get one anyhow and just put it near my car radio. Maybe not. I wouldn't want it rolling around in the car. Loose balls can cause problems. In both cars and sports. I remember hearing about one basketball player who held the record for loose ball fouls. 

They said it was mostly a longevity thing. He didn't have a brief career.

America, ya gotta love it. 

No comments: