Thursday, October 09, 2014

2325 C-Change


The older I get, the more I resist change. It's not because of change itself, the only really constant in life, it's that you've had to change so many times by the time you reach a certain age, that you're just sick of it. Especially these days, when technology keeps altering faster than a chameleon on crack.

Even worse, to us oldsters, are online financial websites like Healthcare.gov, that force you to change your password every 90 days. Remembering passwords is hard enough, and 90 days goes by like two did in my youth. 

So the other day, when I went to Costco and couldn't find my favorite brand of orange juice, I got in a bit of a snit. More snit producing, it was where it should have been all along, they had just changed the packaging. Instead of extended cubular milk-like cartons, they had shifted to plastic bottles. 

I noticed another change. Where was the labeling extolling the benefits of Vitamin C? I looked all over the bottle and no mention of Vitamin C whatsoever except in the nutritional panel, where it discreetly mentioned a serving contained 120% of RDA.

What they did hype, however, was how much Vitamin D and calcium it had. As if they were going head to head with milk as the breakfast drink of choice. Sad. They say orange juice sales have fallen off but this is a bad move. Because, um, I'll never be able to put orange juice on my breakfast cereal. 

And though a lack of Vitamin D does cause Ricketts, it's hard to get that deficient in today's cheesy food culture. Vitamin C is different. We need our citrus and should change back now.  

When was the last time you saw someone with scurvy?

America, ya gotta love it. 

No comments: