Thursday, August 15, 2013

2048 Holy Twit



Well the twitterverse was all atwitter the other day about a news item. It was something the Pope said. But before I get to that, I have another little twitter story.

One of the advantages of twitter is it allows for fairly quick updates. Updating status statements was what it was originally about. So for folks who subscribe to it, you can get those same quick updates from news services like AP. A friend of mine showed me one the other day. It said, "Correction: Bradley Manning not facing 136 years of imprisonment as earlier reported. It’s 128 years."

Well that's a relief. I'm glad AP is concerned with being so accurate. Even though those extra 8 years would probably not have been served by Bradley Manning. Because he’ll be DEAD!

Or in twitterspeak, his status will be void. 

Anyhow, the other big twitterstorm was promulgated by the Pope. In old newspaper talk, the dope on the Pope was this: When asked about homosexuality, his response was, "Who am I to judge?" 

The press is calling it those “amazing five words.” How they've opened up a whole new dialogue in the Church. How it's a sign the Catholic church is finally changing and rolling away the stone of misguided prejudice.

All of which may be true. And I'm glad to see it. I would hope women priests won't be far behind. 

But I still have to focus on the words, "Who am I to judge?" 

Um, the Pope? 

Aren't you supposed to be God's voice on earth? Isn't the entire thrust of the Catholic hierarchical structure that the Pope is the final earthly interpreter and arbiter of the divine message?

Go ahead, judge. Call up the Holy Spirit dove and give us a divine tweet. Yes or no?

America, ya gotta love it.

No comments: