Friday, March 06, 2015

2417 Eternal Lame


Sometimes I wonder if I share the same language with some people.  They don't seem to know exactly what they're putting across.  The bad thing is they're supposed to be experts.

Like this story I saw from Reuters, which sounds like "writers" so they ought to be pretty accurate about how they write.

Here's the lead off paragraph: "A study from Finland suggests that saunas might have health benefits, at least for men.  During the study, men who spent time in a sauna at least seven times a week were less likely to die of heart problems, or to die at all, compared to those who only visited the sauna once a week." 

Less likely to die of heart problems, OR TO DIE AT ALL!  Well well well.  Whodda thunk it?  Immortality through sweatboxes.  Here they thought the fountain of youth was water.  Turns out it's hot yoga without the yoga.  Wonder if it helps just to turn your car heater on high on the way to work?

Or take marketing experts.  I saw a TV commercial for a line of hair products.  I'm not sure how long it's been around, as I don't watch that much TV, but it was odd.  A sultry model with shining luxuriant tresses comes on and extols the virtues of hair products with the brand name Schwarzkopf.

Really?  I'm guessing it has nothing to do with the Desert Storm Schwarzkopf, as I recall a fairly sparse-haired guy with a camo cap on, not a good hair role model. 

But what's worse is that schwarzkopf is a German word, where schwarz means black and kopf means head.  So.  Should any kind of beauty product be calling itself blackhead?  "Nurture your hair with Pimple..." 

BTW, I hear saunas are good for blackheads too. 

America, ya gotta love it. 

No comments: