Monday, March 02, 2015

2413 P-Day


Presidents Day has come and gone and with it all the emotions related to holiday celebration.  It makes me a little sad.

Sadder still when I read an article that exposed the President's Day charade.  Turns out that officially, Congress never approved Presidents Day.  On the federal books it's still Washington's Birthday.  Some states have adopted it and, of course, so have retailers. 

Personally, I think it's a great holiday.  It's all in how you elect to celebrate it.

At my house the festivities begin long before the actual day, as my family takes the opportunity to learn history and goes through the POTUS pantheon with a Presidents Day Advent Calendar. 

Each window opens up to reveal a portrait of a dead President of the United States, along with a little summation of his term and a lovely chocolate treat.  In the case of Lincoln, Washington, Roosevelt and Jefferson that treat takes the form of a coin, helping remind us how important presidents are to the economy.

My particular favorite is Martin Van Buren, because that's the day our family serves muttonchop stew.  I love muttonchops, both on the face and in the belly.

Finally comes Presidents Day Eve, a time when the family gets together and shares stories about how presidents have affected their lives.  Then we open a special book and read it aloud to the delight of the children.  "It was the night before inauguration, and all through the house, not a pundit was stirring, not even a louse."

Presidents Day dawns and we all gather round the Presidents Day tree, cherry of course, in honor of the one cut down by our first president.  Then we exchange Presidents Day gifts. 

I still remember my joy the year I got Lincoln Logs. 

Ah, the memories. 

America, ya gotta love it. 

No comments: