Wednesday, August 27, 2014

2298 Plastic Alteration


Take the microwave oven. As a single person, I was remarking about it to myself the other day (as no one else was around to remark to, see aforementioned comment about single person).

In any event, I remarked to myself that I'm sure glad I have a microwave. That way every dinner I cook need not be an elaborate affair. I can cook one big meal, then utilize the microwave to nuke the next two night's worth of leftovers.

Very environmentally conscious, I don't send the wasted food to the landfill, and very convenient at the same time. I don't have to dirty a lot of pots and pans every night. Nor am I like today's Millennials, who spend more than $1000 a year in fast food places over-acquiring salt, sugar, and fat. Maybe they should microwave more. 

But I learned recently there's another hazard to the microwave cycle. Plastic. As in, don't microwave your food in a plastic container. According to the National Institutes of Health, even if your plastic is BPA free, it's still a bad idea to zap your food in it.

According to them, "Phthalates can leach into your food, damaging sperm and altering hormones." Scary indeed. Normally I would avoid medical advice that employs the use of the word leach, even though this leach isn't the same leech as the ones medieval doctors used to suck blood. But microwaved plastic containers altering hormones is alarming.

Especially since the altering of the hormones leads to the technological equivalent of being altered like your dog. Fewer and damaged sperm do not sound like a preferred result of convenience.

Attention Millennials: Use glass containers. Zapped pizza in the microwave should not lead to no bun in the oven. 

America, ya gotta love it. 

No comments: