Tuesday, April 30, 2013

1976 Movie Meal

Every now and then I'll come across a word in normal usage and my brain will stop moving for a while. By which I mean its normal internal movie will slip off the reel and come to a stuttering halt until some cosmic AV guy rethreads it and the picture of life resumes.
That happened recently when someone asked me if I had seen a particular trailer for a movie. I came to the word "trailer" late in life and it's always bugged me. When I was growing up we called them "previews." You could go to the theater, pay your quarter, and after the Three Stooges and old Laurel and Hardy reels, watch 5 or 6 previews before the actual movie. I would make it through half a box of jujubes.
That was a long time. A box of jujubes, properly savored, could comprise an entire movie theater meal.
Jujubes---recommended by makework dentists everywhere.
So it doesn't make sense to call them trailers to me. Because they always show them in front of the movie. And who do you see driving down the road pushing a trailer? Trailing unequivocally means following.
It's not a word like meal. My brain suddenly slipped the cogs on that the other day. Kind of an ambiguous word. I had a meal. Fine. It's mealtime. Fine. We are having oatmeal for our morning meal. Trouble coming...
Because your meal could be mealy. And when you say your meal is mealy you could be saying it is made up of oatmeal, or you could be saying the oatmeal has gone bad.
Like an apple, it may be mealy in texture. Or it may even have meal worms.
Which, despite their advance billing, are not a good meal.
America, ya gotta love it.

No comments: