Monday, April 28, 2014

2214 Light Cloudiness


For every thing there is a season, they say. They also say that every dark cloud has a silver lining. They also say that for every action there's an equal and opposite reaction. It's no wonder I'm often confused.

Take the speed of light. I wonder if it has anything to do with how time seems to get faster as we get older. Weeks go by like the day before was only yesterday. Einstein says when an object approaches the speed of light it gets infinitely heavy and that time slows down. So my question: If time appears to be getting faster, why do I keep gaining weight?

Except in my brain of course. There I'm light headed. Or at least light on the ability to remember things. 

Next question. I was trying to make an appointment with a guy the other day and he whipped out his smartypants phone. "How about Tuesday?" he said. Conscious of how time seems to fly by at my age I suggested Wednesday instead. He said, "Okay, I'll pencil you in then."

Surprisingly, he didn't pull out a pencil at all. In fact, he didn't even have one those smartphones with a stylus. So he didn't stylus me in either. He tapped and pinched and scrolled and made his notation that way.

He fingered me in. 

Lastly, did you every wonder about that song Mary Poppins sang before she flew lightly away into the optimistic silver-lininged clouds. "A spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down." Certainly a nice little homily. And accurate much of the time. But what if the thing you're taking medicine for is diabetes and the medicine is insulin?

Remember: For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction.

And every silver lining has a dark cloud.  

America, ya gotta love it. 

No comments: