Thursday, April 17, 2014

2207 Sporting Bads


The world of sports is really just a microcosm of the real world. Just because a person is a sports star doesn't necessarily mean they’re a nice person. So I guess I shouldn't be surprised when one of them gets in trouble for some heinous crime. I mean, devoting your whole life to a single thing seems to get you headed in a weird Biebermania direction right from the start.

Speaking of weird Canadians and weird Canadian sports, what is it with curling? When I was watching the winter Olympics, I was totally surprised. Curlers don't have brooms anymore. I know sports have to adopt new technologies to keep ahead but still. My favorite part of curling was the traditional broom. I'm not sure I'm ready to accept skaters with Swiffers. 

Speaking of bad sweeping things. Or sweeping bad things under the rug. News from Brazil is they're releasing a convicted murderer so he can play soccer. I know, talk about misplaced priorities.

Fernandes de Souza was sentenced to 22 years in prison last year for arranging the murder of his model girlfriend so he wouldn't have to pay child support for their son. She was subsequently killed and fed to dogs. 

Since, before his murder conviction, he was initially convicted of kidnapping her, he has now served three years. Brazilian laws allow limited furloughs for felons after that amount of time is served. That means he can play state soccer again. 

Man, I know Brazilians are known for their ability to finesse close shaves, but this definitely cuts too close to the spirit of justice. Kidnapping, murder, dismemberment, and feeding to dogs? 

Speaking of which. If you thought Michael Vick was a miscarriage of justice, you better not go to the Brazil Olympics. 

America, ya gotta love it. 

No comments: