Wednesday, February 26, 2014

2171 Hearsion


Recently I was trying to convey something to somebody about how something might sound. And I found myself as confused as a resident of Washington or Colorado who'd recently partaken of a legal substance.

The problem. I wanted to convey that the person needed to visualize something or share my vision about something, but I wanted them to do it with their ears. I wanted them to imagine how something would sound.

But I couldn't come up with a word specifically for sound visualization. "Visualization" really doesn't fit since it brings up that whole vision thing. Which is, let's face it, a word for sight. If you see it in your mind, does that include hearing it in your mind? Does your inner vision come with speakers?

So if I'm imagining how something will sound is it an auralization? That works pretty good as a hearing equivalent for visualization, but what about the term vision. Listen-ion? Hearsion? 

All I get is confusion.

Speaking of which, I had a different vision, a real one, of a hazard certain folks may not have visualized the predictive way. I was approaching a roundabout and the individual driving the car in front of me slowed more than he was already cruising. Right before he entered the roundabout he came to a complete stop, though there were no cars coming. He then proceeded slowly through the roundabout, driving on the center line that separated the two lanes. He then came to a complete stop at the exit of the roundabout before he moved forward and slowly drove off. 

Perhaps his vision was an hallucination. My insight was this. Was it a good idea to legalize cannabis in a state that has so many roundabouts?

Maybe they should have a hearing on that.

America, ya gotta love it. 


No comments: