Monday, October 29, 2012

1852 Infusionary

Every now and then I like a little variety. Or at least think I should try something different because I don't want to be an old fuddy-duddy who's set in his ways.
Unfortunately, I usually get reminded it's safer to stay set in my ways. Like not long ago I was going to buy some Craisins. I like to stir a few craisins into my oatmeal as a sweet fruity supplement. I like the flavor and the texture, even though I'm not particularly troubled by urinary tract infections.
When I went to buy my last bag they offered an alternative. Craisins “infused with pomegranate juice.” I shelled out the bucks to try them, proud of my non-fuddy-duddy adventurousness.
Boy was I disappointed.
I was hoping this would be a way to enjoy pomegranate, which as you know, is a singularly hard fruit to eat. I always think the word pomegranate sounds like some sort of thing cheerleaders shake that's made out of stone. The hard shell lends itself to that interpretation. And the little pebble-like granules inside aren't too easy to dig out either.
Be that as it may, the pomegranate juice with which they infused the cranberries didn't taste too good. And worse, the cranberries themselves had an even more dehydrated texture than usual. I began to suspect that the reason they infused them was because they were over-dried to begin with and the pomegranate juice was meant to restore some softness.
So tell me, how do you infuse a cranberry? To me infuse sounds like when they inject something into something. Do they have a little IV they set up for each cranberry?
Really? Infused? Wrong word. Maybe they should just say soaked.
Like I was when I forked over the money to buy them.
America, ya gotta love it.

No comments: