Wednesday, October 17, 2012

1844 Data Bans

Data is distorting our world. Personally I'm ready for a data ban. Take my cellphone. It's 7 years old, which is like 49 in dog or technology years. But it does have texting capability. Sort of. I have to go through the 3-letters-per-number keypad thing so composing a text is not unlike tiptoeing barefoot through a field of thorns. But I manage.
What I don't manage is receiving texts, as now that everybody else has keyboards and data plans, they are composing and sending electronic opuses. My phone will buzz four times in rapid succession. Then I get a serialized text. The episodes aren't even cliff hangers. They'll be interrupted in the middle of a word.
I wish they'd just call.
Funny how we've gone from worrying about the minutes we used to have on our phones to the size of our data plan. Data has become the currency of life.
Data manipulation has made things so much easier. Take modern music. Today's pop songs have layers and layers of production. The main singer may have five or six different versions of her voice singing the song in different enunciations, pitches, and registers.
Back in the four-track master tape recording days that wouldn't have been possible without a lot of work. Now, thanks to digital electronics, it's easy. As easy as going to McDonalds for a Big Mac rather than cooking a 5-course nutritionally-balanced dinner at home.
Easier is not always better.
Personally, I think there are secret messages in the recordings. Maybe to make the young buy more technology. And get someone more profit. Old people can't hear higher frequencies. I slowed down one of the new songs the other day. There was a voice that said, "Paul is dead."
Or was it, "Data bans is bad Satan"?
Datanagrams?
America, ya gotta love it.

No comments: