Tuesday, January 22, 2013

1905 E-Ticket

Sometimes things misalign mentally. You take in all the information but it doesn't seem to fit. Like a square peg in a round hole. By the way, isn't a square peg a stake?
So recently I was buying an airline ticket. I got it and everything, but when the online transaction was done the company I got it from referred to it as an "E-Ticket."
I paid for my luggage online too. I wonder; does that mean I was E-Quipped?
Speaking of planes, I read recently about the Boeing Company upgrading their computer system for heightened security. So are they going to be storing all their information in the cloud?
Anyhow, what misaligned in my brain was this. I was raised in the days when Disneyland had just opened. So to me an E-Ticket means a really special ride. When Disneyland and I were young, the way they practiced crowd control was the time-honored method of price discrimination. You could go on the really good rides, but not all of them if you didn't buy more E-Tickets than were included in your admission booklet. That way the line around the Matterhorn didn't circle the entire Swiss Alps.
At the end of the day you had to leave with a bunch of A and B tickets or spend your last couple of hours riding the double-decker bus on Main Street.
Fast forward---Having an E-Ticket still raises my expectations. But for some reason today's airplane rides don't measure up. Unless it's the surprise and joy of them actually providing legroom, or a small packet of free nuts, there's almost no excitement at all.
Except on my last plane ride, when I forgot to completely empty my pockets and was treated to a vigorous pat down.
That was more like E-yew…
America, ya gotta love it.

No comments: