Thursday, January 10, 2013

1898 Knap Crackle Pop Tart

For no apparent reason my brain wanders off on different journeys sometimes. Like recently a racquetball friend gave all us fellow players some pumpkin turnovers his wife had made. "Wow," I said, "Thanks. You usually have to pay extra for them in the city."
"Huh?" said another of my racquetball partners.
"A pumpkin turnover," I said, "It's a type of massage."
"Really?" He said.
I confessed I was just making it up.
Then he hit me with his racquet.
Note to self: Do not confuse him by equating pastries with personal services.
Another friend mentioned his knapsack the other day and it got me going in an entirely different direction. Why do they call it a knapsack?
Oh sure, the nap in knapsack has a silent 'K'. Confusing to me. Couldn't I spell in with a silent 'G' like in gnat? You wouldn't notice on the radio would you?
Anyhow, is there a real nap involved in the process? Is it meant to be loaded with soft items so you can use it as a pillow on whatever small hike you are taking it on. Because I assume a knapsack and a heavy hiking pack are different.
And a day pack and a fanny pack are different as well. (Don't you hate when people wear fanny packs in the front? The term "belly pack" would correct the usage, but that sounds way too much like a power eating episode...)
So I looked up knapsack. Turns out the knap in knapsack is from the German "knappen." Which means to eat. So it's a sack in which you place things to eat.
Perhaps a pumpkin turnover. Which, oddly, actually looks a little like a knapsack. Or a pop tart.
Don't even get me going on that word...
America, ya gotta love it.

No comments: