Thursday, November 18, 2010

1377 Pet Pictures

I read a fair amount of books. Which means I get to look at a fair amount of “Author Portraits.” You know the ones. They’re the pictures on the back cover of a book. Or possibly on the inside back flap of a hardback book sleeve.
I find it interesting to read an entire book then save my view of the author till the last. I’m often surprised by the visage thereon. You read this bold and muscular story and then the author looks like Casper Milquetoast.
I’m also amazed by how many author types seem to feel it’s necessary to pose with their pets.
I wonder about the psychology behind the practice. Are they trying to establish something? Perhaps their generosity to all living things? Could be, these are often authors who write in gruesome detail about murders, mayhem, and suchlike. Maybe they are just trying to show us their humanity by contrasting themselves to their pets’ animalosity.
Cats seem to be more the norm than dogs in these pictures. Often, the author seems to be clutching the cat rather desperately— either the cat is trying to escape or the socially-challenged author is petrified of the photographer and the cat is more crutch than prop. Even worse is the author who poses in such a way as to have a cat-like expression on his or her face.
I don’t get it. What is it they are trying to say? “You’ll be sure to like my book because I am liked by my cat.” Or, “Even if you don’t like my book, my cat still loves me.” Or, “Look. I not only can write, I can hold a cat against its will, and sort of look like a cat too.”
America, ya gotta love it.

No comments: