Monday, August 23, 2010

1317 Say What?

Occasionally I’ll see or hear something, be brought up a little short and say, “Say what?” Like the other day when someone said she had always been small for her size. As opposed to what?
Would she be small for her IQ? Perhaps small for her available time in the appointment we had. Small for her size, huh?
I’ve always been tall for my height.
Or the other day I saw a sign that didn’t make a whole lot of sense. I was at a pet fair. Which, by the way, was kind of disappointing. It didn’t have any rides. I was hoping for something thrilling for my dog. Like a rover coaster or something.
Anyhow, the strange sign was for a company that was advertising they had “vegetarian” dog and cat food. Say what? Dogs I guess I understand, every dog I’ve ever had would eat anything. But cats? Cats are like the ultimate carnivores.
Somehow I can’t picture a cat being satisfied with a bowl of lentils. It would be like feeding a snake a mouse-sized lump of tofu. It’s just against nature.
I fully respect the philosophical position of vegetarians when it comes to inhumane mass-market meat foods. But animals have been eating animals since the dawn of evolution.
But it also made me think of a sign we’ll probably never see. Then again, since we’re human, we probably will. How about a diner called “Sam and Ella’s Factory Fresh Chicken.” They serve the famous breakfast called “Generations.” It’s grits, fried chicken and eggs.
Nope, people don’t think. Like this whole wiki-leaks thing. Say what? Weren’t the Wiki’s those cute fuzzy creatures in the second Star Wars movie?
I don’t even want to know what wiki-leaks are.
America, ya gotta love it.

No comments: