Monday, November 10, 2014

2347 Prime Location


See me. Feel me. Touch me. Heal Me. It's not just from the Rock Opera Tommy. It might be the mantra of retail generally. And even Amazon is catching on.

Jeff Bezos of Amazon has been in the news a lot recently. Mostly because Amazon has been showing less than stellar profits and shortsighted Wall Street is starting to lose faith in him. Jeff, you remember, famously launched and grew Amazon for years with no profit whatsoever. I believe Wall Street went along for that ride.

Well he continues to be a visionary and that continues to concern the blind old boys on the street. His Fire Phone didn't set the world on fire so they feel worried. Now it looks like his Fire Stick will, so they'll be back. It always amazes me how out of touch Wall Street manages to make money while acting like a fickle lover.

Jeff, by the way, if you Google him, is identified as a "business magnate." I haven't heard that description since the days of robber barons and tycoons. 

Back to the retail thing, and the possible tycoon savior thereof. Jeff is opening a brick and mortar retail store in New York City. And not just New York City, but in a 12-story building right across from The Empire State Building, the icon of the big apple. An Amazon Prime Location. 

Partly it's to function as a mini-warehouse for same day delivery. Hmm. Isn't that sort of what all retail places are, mini-warehouses that keep stuff on hand for you to get right away? And bonus, you get to see, feel, and touch the stuff before you buy it. Heck, they might even sell a few Fire Phones. 

See me, feel me, touch me, ring me up please.

America, ya gotta love it. 

No comments: