Friday, December 28, 2012

1894 Fur-tile Phrases

If you’re familiar with these commentaries, you know I just like the way words sound sometimes. Or phrases.
Like recently I was at an economic development conference. There was a representative from Pacific County. She was talking about the revitalization of a small community there known as Tokeland. Naturally I thought she meant Washington State's new law and its implication for the budding coastal economy.
Maybe not.
Not long after that I was driving by the old FedEx Kinko's building and noticed it just said FedEx Office. What the heck? You got to be kidding, right? No more Kinko's? The most inappropriately named copying store in the market!
What, I always wondered, were they copying at Kinko's? I had these visions of nerdy guys getting wasted and sitting on copiers with their pants down.
Toner? I hardly know her...
I guess with cellphone sexting that sort of buffoonery got superseded by more modern technology. I remember when I saw a Kinko's store right next to a Lover's Package store.
Gotta love those strip malls.
Then there's the news story I read the other day. Seems the nerd world is all a-twitter for another reason. Hasbro is coming out with a new Furby. Already the internet is bursting with suggestions for hacking the computer inside.
That was the big thing last time around---hackers got into a Furby's innards and made it do all sorts of weird things. Like sitting on copiers and stuff. But what I like was the phrase they used in the article. They said computer geeks were looking forward to "hacking a Furby."
Why am I suddenly reminded of cats? Or nerd stoners. Hocking a loogie. Hacking a furball. Hacking a Furby.
Better send a shipment of fresh water to Tokeland.
America, ya gotta love it.

No comments: