Monday, December 10, 2012

1880 Techno Tidbits

As the march of technology continues apace it's fun to examine the little techno-tidbits people step in.

Like the scandal with General Petraeus. Turns out one reason it was uncovered was because of emails between he and his paramour. The email technique they used was to compose drafts on the same email account and then each go to that account and read them. A high school I'm-so-cool-I'm-acting-like-a-spy trick known by trolls from here to Mom's basement in Peoria.
Or, yes, Virginia, Langley.
By the way. His career is ruined. She'll get another book deal.
Be that as it may, I always wonder about how Google and their spybots that suggest ads in your gmails may have viewed the whole thing. You know---the ads their algorithms enable when they peruse the content of your emails?
Hot steamy spy affair---I wanna see those pop-ups.
Secondly, remember how we used to say that kids would be just fine if we left them to their own devices? That was back when "devices" meant just actions. Now devices actually do mean devices. iPhones, iPods, videogame consoles, tablets, gmail accounts. All connected to the crazy predators on the World Wide Web.
May we shouldn't leave them to their own devices anymore.
Finally, there's the accidents that happen when you mix technology, our modern society, and its multi-lingual entrepreneurs. I called a phone number I saw on one of those sidebar ads on a webpage and tried to order a wax treatment for my floors not long ago. I thought I was hiring a Hispanic firm to do the job, what with the language barrier and all. Turns out they were Brazilian. Not the wax job I had in mind.
My hardwood floor looks really funny.
America, ya gotta love it.

No comments: