Wednesday, December 26, 2012

1891 Kilter

Every now and then I encounter something off kilter. This even though I'm not entirely certain what kilter is. Making the determination of off or on kilter somewhat intuitive.
Like this observation. I was reading a King Arthur story. The King was having a discussion with Merlin the Wizard, and Merlin was working up quite a cloud of smoke with his pipe as he made dire warnings.
And it occurred to me. What was Merlin smoking? The Arthurian cycle was supposed to take place when Arthur, King of Britain, was fighting off the Saxons in the late 5th and early 6th centuries.
Tobacco wasn't brought over from the new world until the 15th century at the earliest. Merlin must have been a wizard indeed.
Second observation. I was up in University Place, which folks in University Place abbreviate UP by the way, and saw one of those changing red-lighted signs outside a Bartell Drug store. The sign first read: "Kindle Fire HD on sale now." Then it changed and said: "Diamond Walnuts $5.99.
And I just thought that was so amazing. A store that can carry an incredibly complex piece of modern electronics. And walnuts. Just ask our helpful clerks for advice. One stop shopping, ya gotta love it.
Finally, this year I'm going to gird myself to stay up late and try it. Every year all the big places offer it. And it only seems to be available at midnight New Years Eve. It sounds delicious or why would they be offering it.
The traditional champagne toast.
I don't know if they bake the champagne right in or if it's some sort of champagne butter they spread on it. Either way, I'm setting my alarm.
I hope my clock doesn't go off kilter.
America, ya gotta love it.

No comments: