Tuesday, November 13, 2012

1863 Nones

Read an interesting news snippet not long ago. One of those non items. By which I mean the item was something but the something it was about was non. As in none.
Zero stuff is always a hard subject to hold onto in my brain. It keeps slipping away to nothing. Like when they offer "zero percent financing for 6 months." You're not really financing it for six months at all then are you? Why not just say no interest for six months? Or better yet, just say interest doesn't start for six months. Or even better yet, don't mention it at all, then bring it up in six months.
Or the old "zero calories of fat." "No-fat" is fine. "Fat-free" even better. Or again, just fail to mention fat. Say it's all protein or all carbohydrate. Or maybe that it's just an apple.
Because those zero things sound like imaginary numbers to me, my confusion files them in the voids of my brain as unbelievable generally.
This article I mentioned took me into that same unbelievable territory. No kidding. It was about a group called the "nones." Not nuns in the Catholic women wearing a modified Burqa sense. Nones as in the n-o-n-e- I mentioned earlier.
The statistic said a Pew survey found that one in five Americans is not affiliated with any religion. They also said, "Nones are the fastest growing religious group in America."
Not sure if they surveyed empty Pews…
As I said, unbelievable, but not necessarily unbelievers. They are just none-believers. Not affiliated with any particular religion. The political independents of the religious world. Or possibly just the undecided.
Just one thing, when they do decide, are they a "non-none"?
America, ya gotta love it.

No comments: