Friday, September 07, 2012

1817 Pre Amble

I get preoccupied with the way we use words. Sometimes my brain hiccups and I see them in a whole different way.
Like recently I got an email from Amazon giving me the opportunity to pre-order some book. How do you do that? Is it like filling out a form promising to order at some future date? Do I have to put earnest money on it? Or a deposit of some sort? Would they accept a pre-deposit?
Dumb. Once it's pre-ordered it's ordered. If they want me to order it in advance of publication, then say so. They're in the word business after all.
It's like when folks say they are prerecording something. "Prerecorded to be viewed later in your time zone." No. They recorded it to be viewed later. They can't pre-record it because it hasn't happened yet.
My favorite was in the days of vinyl when musicians would say they were prerecording a record.
Or how about preceding. Nothing "pre-" about it. People only use it when something is passed. "The preceding was a paid political announcement." And what is it they're ceding when they precede? Isn't ceding giving something away or giving up a point?
And how about present? It breaks down to "pre" and "sent." So you sent it earlier and it just arrived and now you are presenting it as a present?
Then there's preamble. Doesn't bode well for the rest of a piece of writing if you ask me. The first part, the preamble, indicates quite clearly the next part is going to be an amble. Great. Love a slow wandering presentation.
Then again, pre-amble sounds like what you do before you amble. Like stretching exercises before a run. Young folks do pre-run stretching.
Us oldsters do a pre-amble.
America, ya gotta love it.

No comments: