Tuesday, September 11, 2012

1820 Blow Out

Recently I was at Denver Airport, where a weird thing unsettled me when I went to use the restroom. I was in a hurry to meet a connecting flight but the call of nature was shouting, as I had got stuck on the wrong side of the drink cart on the plane. That didn't stop me from noticing, however, that both the men's and the women's restrooms had an extra sign on them.
And it was a very unsettling sign indeed.
It said: "Tornado Shelter."
Dude. A tornado shelter in a bathroom? Puts a whole new spin on that breaking wind thing.
And really, a brand new airport remodel and all the money they spent putting artistic teepee cones on their roof and they couldn't come up with a separate tornado shelter? I'm all for economy and being smart with construction dollars but you know. Where would I rather spend my potentially last minutes? In a special shelter surrounded by other people huddled together? Or crowded in the bathroom with toilets and urinals? Oh sure, if they didn't do it that way they'd have to also build toilets in the tornado shelters. And without a doubt they'd be empty rooms most of the time, but still.
What's worse, now you have segregated tornado shelters--Men's and Women's. How can you comfort your panicky spouse? And what a pain if one segregated tornado shelter survives and the other doesn't.
"Sorry sir, your wife was killed when she was impaled by a 100 mile an hour toilet paper roll."
One of you gets blown to the hereafter and one of you rides out the storm on a thundermug.
Oh well, in the end I suppose it's a much more convenient way to kiss your ass goodbye...
America, ya gotta love it.

No comments: