Thursday, March 15, 2012

1697 Armapocalypse

If you ever need any proof about how extreme we are these days in our public discourse look no further than the words we invent. I mean really. What is it with news writers and pundits that every little warble in the wave of existence has to be treated like it’s the end of the world?
Maybe the Mayan calendar has everybody in a jitter. I bought one the other day by the way. It was a joke Mayan calendar—had lots of pictures of volcanoes and tornados and such. And the date only went to December 21st. Gotta love that dark end-of-the-world sense of humor.
Hey. It just occurred to me. If the Mayans are right, we've already celebrated out last Christmas. Bummer. Or perhaps not. One more year untangling Christmas lights and tracking down the shorts would be my personal end of the world anyhow.
My light-pocolypse.
And that’s what I mean. Words like that. I was reading an article the other day and the writer was talking about public benefit money. But then he went on to say if the 2.5 trillion the government spends on assistance keeps up, we were head for a debtpocalypse. That’s right, deptpocalypse. It's even hard to say.
At least use a word that more naturally leads into the suffix. I think it should have been debt-ageddon. Like the news writers said about our recent extreme ice storm. It was storm-ageddon.
Still, that's what I'm talking about. Everything's got "pocalypse" of or "ageddon" after it these days. Relax people.
Definitely the end of the world of good language we once knew. It’s a regular grammar-geddon. Or maybe lingo-pocalypse.
Must be that listless "final days" malaise we all feel.
I call it Mayan-aise.
America ya gotta love it.

No comments: