Thursday, March 15, 2012

1696 Techknowledgement

I was looking at the breakroom area at my work recently. And I was struck by an epiphany—an acknowledgement of global modern technology. Or is that techknowledgement?
In any event, as my eyes traveled along the counter area I saw a Keurig coffee machine. Next to that was a Bunn coffee machine. Seems when it comes to appliances, we really trust the Germans. Especially when it comes to appliances delivering something as important as the morning joe.
Next to our Bunn was a Gojo soap dispenser. One of those things you load with a bladder of soap for the ultimate convenience. I assumed from the spelling that Gojo was a Japanese invention. Neat interchangeable replaceable units is their forte. Henry Ford is an icon in Japan. Actually, though, the company started in Akron Ohio.
My bad.
Next was the towel dispenser. One of those with a sensor that detects your waving and delivers a swath of paper towel. This one was a Japanese device.
Where is the American ingenuity? I thought. And then the answer was delivered into my hands. Literally. The paper towel that came out of the dispenser was indisputably American. I glanced through the bathroom door and my heart warmed. So too was the toilet paper on the humble manual spindle. Soap, paper towels, and TP, when it comes to hygiene products we lead the world.
Then I read an article that reminded where else we're ahead. The U.S. Military is currently testing drone aircraft that not only don't need a pilot in the cockpit, but don't need one remotely either. That's right, a plane that has its own computer brain that decides to shoot whoever, whenever.
Um, didn't anyone in the Navy watch Terminator?
Because no matter how good we are with toilet paper, that kind of technology could wipe us out.
America ya gotta love it.

No comments: