Wednesday, February 22, 2012

1681 Memory Reminders

I read an interesting article recently about the Google mind. I forget where I read it. The gist of it was that today's kids aren't remembering things the way us oldsters once did.
They don't have to memorize boring facts about the dates of Civil War battles or the angstroms in the visual spectrum because they have easy and ready access to the web. The article talked about psychologists who are studying the Google mind. The Google we all know and love that is reaching its tendrils into every fiber of our society. The Google octopus slowly and insidiously changing to Googleopolis.
It's our constant go-to source for any tidbit of info. When did Star Trek start? Who was the second man on the moon? Who was the female scientist that got screwed out of recognition for the discovery of DNA? It's all on Google.
Sort of like Shazam, which, in its original form, just functions as a portable memory device. Expose it to a playing song and it will identify the song for you. Fantastic. You don’t even need to waste valuable memory cells remembering favorite songs anymore. Aptly named app too. As the not-so-bright comedic marine Gomer Pyle once said when confronted with something wondrous, "Shazam!"
One good thing—the trendsetters in lazy memory have helped my future. When I reach my dad's age and I can't remember stuff I won't have to worry. There'll be an app for that. It'll follow me around to every corner of my house to remind me why I went wherever I went. Like a memory Roomba.
By the way. It's already kicking in. As I care for my memory-impaired dad, I'm getting more forgetful. I think it's catching. Either that or dementia is caused by eating dinner every night at 4:30.
America, ya gotta love it.

No comments: