Wednesday, February 15, 2012

1677 Hogging Ground

Not long ago it was Ground Hog Day, and I have to say it's one of our odder observances. Not least because it's odd we should put so much faith and ceremony into the reputed prognosticational ability of a rodent. But also because I'm not sure what a Groundhog is.
Is it a rodent? Or is it a weasel? Weasels are pretty smart and certainly capable of seeing one's shadow. But I'm uncomfortable with a choice made by a weasel. Weasely choices always smack of politicians to me. I'm not sure I want the disposition of winter or spring to be in the paws of a weasel.
A brief internet search put my fears to rest. Groundhogs are rodents. Our seasonal predictions are in the paws of a glorified rat. What a relief.
But really, what a name. Doesn't Ground Hog sound like some sort of land grabbing conglomerate, snatching up all the available developable land to make a killing with a new mall or something? I suppose it's better though, than some of the other names it's known by.
Turns out Groundhogs, from the marmot family, are also known as woodchucks, whistle-pigs and land beavers. I guess Groundhog is pretty good after all. That whole whistle-pig thing is too weird to even contemplate, and if we bring in the decision about how much wood a woodchuck may chuck, presuming the process of chucking can actually be performed by woodchucks, we're never going to figure out the length of winter.
Which, by the way I don't get. Is six more weeks of winter good or bad? The time from February 2nd to March 21st, the official first day of spring, is about 7 weeks.
So only 6 more weeks is good right?
America, ya gotta love it.

No comments: