Wednesday, October 05, 2011

1591 Smugglie

I heard a song on the radio the other day that got me thinking. The song was "Smugglers Blues" by Glenn Frey. It talked about, or sang about, the colorful, exotic, and adventurous life of a smuggler. Then for some reason my mind took a rhyming leap to Snuggie.
Weird. Because, you know, for two words that sound a lot a like they sure go in wildly different directions. Smuggle and snuggle evoke entirely opposite feelings.
I'm going to snuggle my wife across the border sounds a little more innocent than I'm going to smuggle my wife across the border. And I'd much rather date a snuggler than I would a smuggler.
It's also odd how the words go through their various forms. I am snug. I can snuggle. We enjoy snuggling, and she was a snuggler.
You can smuggle something. And you can be a smuggler. You can even engage in smuggling. But what does that have to do with being smug. I am smug as a bug in my smuggled rug?
Do smugglers feel smug because they have secrets no one knows about? Perhaps. The etymology dictionary says smuggle comes from the Low German word smuggeln, which means "to transport illegally," which came from the German word smuganan, which means "to sneak."
The word "smug" comes from a word that means sleek, trim and neat. And eventually, self-satisfied about your looks.
Interestingly both smug and smuggle trace back to the root word for smock. Yes smock, like the garment. That meaning came from the Old English smugan "to creep" and smygel "to burrow" and also from the German schmiegen "to cling to, to press close, nestle." Ultimately, in came from smjuga, meaning, roughly, a garment one creeps into.
I'll be darned. That sounds like a snuggie.
America, ya gotta love it.

No comments: