Tuesday, October 04, 2011

1590 Ad-Verse

Every now and then I get an adverse reaction to some advertising things. Like recently when I had a birthday. I noticed I got a lot more cards than usual. Then I realized it was because I had acquired one new investment counselor and two new insurance agents in the previous year.
Nice to know; if I ever feel unwanted I can always buy an insurance policy to make sure someone remembers me on my birthday.
A while ago, I was listening to a radio ad and the announcer said some place was, "Located at 352nd Street." So really, is it necessary to say "located" at? Can't you just say the place is at 352nd Street? Won't the rest of assume that's where it's located? "Check out the Taco Bell at 352nd Street" tells me the exact same thing as check out the Taco Bell located at 352nd Street.
And don't say "exact same thing" either. If it's the same it’s exactly the same. Or don't tell me something is "happening on July 5th." Just tell me it's on July 5th. I'll assume it's happening.
I really was mystified the other day. I was driving behind a bus and the busboard ad said an event was going to be on Saturday September 17th. My first surprise was when I saw an exact date. Busboards are never good for specific events. They stay on the bus past the event and end up looking dorky. What was even weirder was the content of the ad. It said a certain company was having a Black Friday Sale. And that the Black Friday Sale was Saturday September 17th.
Sorry. I guess I'm getting used to Christmas Season starting before Halloween.
I am not okay with Friday happening on Saturday.
Just doesn’t add up.
America, ya gotta love it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

2 of the many things that bug me about advertising: 50% off ....that's right 50% off.... the other is it's a "Saleabration" ...say what?