Thursday, February 21, 2013

1928 Three Pankies

A few random thoughts today. Like I had someone tell me about a commercial he had seen on YouTube from Samsung. It was a pretty funny commercial, with Paul Rudd and Seth Rogen, about the Super Bowl and how you could get sued if you used that name to promote your product.
But what was really funny was this. When I first clicked on the YouTube link a commercial fired up for DiGiorno Pizza, which was kind of funny in its own right. Even funnier was that I was voluntarily watching a commercial in order to be able to voluntarily watch a commercial.
Is this a great country or what?
Speaking of that "great country" phrase and the homeland of the comedian who used it, I was thinking of another East European country that may be affected by all of us using so many bankcards these days. When everyone uses debit cards, how does that affect the economy of the Czech Republic?
Sounds like some hanky panky to me. Hanky panky. You wonder where that word comes from. Was it something involving a bank and just mispronounced? The etymology dictionary says it's "a variant of hoky-poky, which is a variant of hocus-pocus."
That's a lot of help. Like saying doohickey is a variant of thingamadoodle.
Personally I think it goes back to old people. Or those that are hard of hearing. I was visiting my dad at his old folks home the other day and was absolutely shocked to see they were involved in some hanky panky.
He yelled out to this older lady, "Do you have a hanky?"
She yelled back, "Panky?"
"No, Hanky"
"Panky?"
"Hanky?"
"Panky?"
I wish I could have put it on YouTube. I could have sold some super commercials.
America, ya gotta love it.

No comments: