Monday, February 11, 2013

1920 As Long As

I was reading my orange juice carton the other day. I had detected a lack of pulp in my freshly-poured glass and was searching for the pulp quantity designation label to confirm the evidence on my tongue.
In the course of my search I chanced upon another interesting phrase emblazoned on the package. It said: "Every eight-ounce glass has a banana's worth of potassium."
How nice. They're actually using a banana as a unit of measure. I wonder if it would work at the pharmacy.
"Help you sir?"
"Yes, I'd like a banana's worth of potassium, please. And could you put it in a childproof peel."
Or perhaps a new standard for carpentry. "Yeah, we want these walls to be a banana-and-a-half thick. Got a banana in your tool belt?"
"Yep, but I don't use it as a rule."
Maybe they could use it to rebrand Subway's signature sandwich. You could have the full banana or the half banana sandwich. Because apparently that would tell you as much as the word "footlong."
Seems Subway has been sub-par recently when it comes to inches. Researchers determined that Subway's "footlong" sandwich is nothing of the sort. Most of them are 11 or 11.5 inches. Far be it from me to say that 11 or 11.5 inches is in any way inadequate or unsatisfying. It's a lot larger than your ordinary banana. And at 11.5 inches does an additional half inch really matter?
Still, the response Subway subjected us to was substandard. They said the term "footlong" was not intended to be a measurement of length.
Silly me. Marrying the two words for length, foot and long, to indicate, um, length, seemed so obvious when I woke up this morning.
America, ya gotta love it.

No comments: