Monday, June 25, 2012

1768 Pun-ishment

Odd things jump into my brain from time to time. Seems like when you're infected with pun-itis it's a chronic affliction. And life just seems to happen around you like one giant pun.
Like the other day I was walking alongside the road and what did I see but an old Nissan Stanza. And then behind him, with only one vehicle in between, a new Nissan Versa. Two cars named after what sounded to me like different sentence parts. What a coincidence. But what really got me was the vehicle in between.
It was a Segway.
So the other day, and this has nothing to do with puns, unless you call bad sentences pun-ishment, I heard someone say that two things were "compatible with each other." Is that a redundancy? If two things are compatible, don't you just assume they're compatible with each other?
Then there was the friend who told me of a problem he had over in Greece lately. Apparently he went in a restaurant there and was disappointed because they didn't have gyros.
The word homonym also means primitive pun.
Anyhow, recently I caught myself about to sneeze and I lifted my arm to do so into my elbow crook. But I was pretty sure the sneeze was caused by my hay fever allergy. So should I use the same elbow I do when I sneeze with a cold?
Balancing the slick spots on your sleeves.
It sounds easy, but it's not.
"Hay fever allergy." Sounds so boring. Not like "dance fever" or "Saturday Night Fever." I got hay fever. Not even a very fashionable allergy. Like dust mites, or nuts, or pet dander.
Reminds me of the masochist with a wheat allergy who kept eating white bread.
She was a gluten for punishment...
America, ya gotta love it.

No comments: