Thursday, June 14, 2012

1760 Coconuts and Paisleys

A couple of miscellaneous ideas today.
I was in a coffee bar recently looking at the display case that always contains those diet-destructive, tantalizing treats. The provocative pastries we all crave. The gal in front of me in line said, "I'll have one of those coconut macaroons."
It made me wonder, are there any other kinds? Doesn't being a macaroon imply coconuttery? Aren't the nuts of the coco integral to the recipe for a macaroon?
How about that word macaroon? From whence doth it arise? Sounds like it could have started with macaroni. Was the first macaroon a failed attempt at coconut pasta? Maybe it was created by some castaway. Some Robinson Crusoe type. Crafting together culinary alternatives from limited options on a desert isle.
Or in this case a dessert isle.
Mixed together some taro starch poi and coconut shreds to make some castaway pasta and, voila, macaroni for the marooned. Macaroon.
Entirely different subject. Recently I dug out an old paisley tie and wore it. What had gone around had come around and it was fashionable again. I got some interesting gender-based reactions. Men were neutral towards it. Women loved it.
Seriously. I had women coming up and saying, "Ooooh, nice tie." And, "I love your tie, I just love paisleys."
So I looked at the paisley closer to try to figure out why. All I can come up with is that they are primordially Freudian. Paisleys either look like the one-celled animal paramecium, one of the first animals to reproduce by a method other than budding.
Or they look like male reproductive cells.
Kind of a fashion equivalent to truck-coconuts.
Then again, I could have just encountered coincidental taste in miscellaneous women and my whole theory's a fallacy.
America, ya gotta love it.

No comments: