Wednesday, June 20, 2012

1765 Mix Ups

It's fun sometimes when everyday life causes people to confuse things. We get so inundated by the mundane, occasionally our tired brains just miss a beat and we blurt out something absurd.
I'll always remember how I was talking to my dad back in the day and I mentioned Pink Floyd. He thought I was talking about the pig on Hee Haw. My grandmother was worse. To her grave she swore she'd once heard a group called Fernando Llamas and the Tijuana Donkeys. Dementia strikes in odd ways in my family.
So I guess when I hear of a corporate screw up I shouldn't be surprised. If a corporation is just a person as the Supreme Court says, then since they're also a bigger person they should make bigger mistakes.
Like the Bank of America. They have an ad campaign out right now stressing how local they are, interviews with local businesses they've helped and so on. But in one recent ad they say, "...Bank of America, with three branches in the Northwest and one in Oregon."
Um, did Oregon secede from the Northwest when I wasn't looking? Because you know, sometimes they're weird and all, but last time I looked they were pretty close to dear old Washington in that Northwest corner of the country some of us call Americafrom which that "Bank of" got its name.
Then there was the power company spokesman during the last ice storm who relayed how they were going to decide how to prioritize the trees they would cut away from vital power lines. He said they were going to use a triage method.
Tree-ahge...got it.
No worse, I suppose, than the anchorperson who closed a newscast recently by wishing his co-anchor a Happy Memorial Day.
America, ya gotta love it.

No comments: