Tuesday, March 29, 2011

1462 Vege-Kosher

Recently I was researching a piece and looked up the name Zuckerberg on the internet. I meant to type in Mark Zuckerberg, the Facebook guy, but instead typed in Jeff Zuckerberg. Perhaps because my subconscious confused the "zucker" with the name of Jeff Zucker of Hollywood renown.
Here's the interesting thing. There were a lot of entries for Mark Zuckerberg under Jeff Zuckerberg. Even the images summary that Google has had "images of Jeff Zuckerberg" that included images of Mark. The internet, great tool that it is, unconsciously recorded a ton of hits of the same error I made.
There are millions of us. The "Jeff-is-really-Mark" club. I don't feel so alone. Facebook brings the faceless together. And, bummer, Mark's like the most famous guy in the 500 million strong world of social networking and people still get his name wrong.
Such is the dilemma of many a person with a semi-Jewish name. I notice those things more since I've explored my own Jewish heritage. Still, I'm only a sixteenth Jewish, so I'm not sure it even counts.
Especially when it comes to dietary things. Because for the most part I'm a vegetarian too. Except when I eat meat. So when people ask me if I have any dietary preferences on planes or at events, can I say I'm a Kosher Vegetarian?
I'll eat vegetables but they have to be properly killed first. I can't eat coconuts boiled in their own milk. Or a misspelled yam. Hey. If you can substitute Jeff for Mark, you can sure misspell a Y with an H.
I just like the notion of a Kosher vegetarian. Whole Grain Hebrew Buns. And Kosher Tofu Hot Dogs. East and West and low carbon footprint too.
Thanks to the Macrobiotic Jew.
Soy-Vey
America, ya gotta love it.

No comments: