Wednesday, March 23, 2011

1457 ReRecruiting

Got this interesting thing in the direct mail wad in my mailbox the other day. You know the wad. It’s sort of jumbled together with loose-leaf fast-food ads, newspaper tabs, and the occasional 3-by-5 card promising more than can be delivered.
Well they did deliver the promise anyhow. To my mailbox.
They appeared to be recruiting me. By the waydoes that mean I was once cruited?
The recruitment in question that caught my eye was this 3-by-5 card that looked like a diploma. It had a printed embroidered border, something that looked like a seal, and a big word on it that said “DIPLOMA”.
Accent on the Dip, I thought.
Because really. A 3-by-5 diploma? Not very impressive.
“Well it was a small school. And I didn’t learn much. So they gave me this peewee diploma.”
My second thought was, Dude, if you’re going to advertise, spend the money. Don’t make yourself into a laughingstock right out of the box. If you are going to represent something like a prestigious diploma, which you can earn at your prestigious institute, at some point in the presentation look prestigious.
The Diploma card was from the Stratford Career Institute. Possibly of Avon lane. Next to their name it said, like I hope it wouldn’t on the real diploma they issue, “Save up to 35% Today.” Yep. A tiny diploma with the suggestion you paid less than full price for it.
Look good on the old wall.
The back of the card had a list of the numerous careers for which they offered diplomas. 61 to be exact. Like going to a restaurant with 61 items on the menu. You wonder, do they do any of them well?
I guess it’s all a matter of degree...
America, ya gotta love it.

No comments: