Wednesday, October 20, 2010

1358 Tax-cutting Labor

Let me say first off, I am totally against fiscal irresponsibility and government waste. As a businessperson, I am often exhausted by regulatory rigamorole. But I also realize there’s a place for government. I especially realize it when I try to get my fellow homeowners in my homeowners’ association to pool our resources to pull scotch-broom or something.
That’s why I’m pretty sure without government I wouldn’t be driving on a very nice road to get into my business every day.
So when I heard one of my fellow businessmen say something to another at a trade show the other day I had to take notice. He said, “We all know government never did anything right.”
One might point to the massive deregulated economic crater that took place in the fall of 2008 and be comfortable in asserting, “We all know private industry never did anything right.” The truth is, there’s good and bad, and it’s up to everyone to improve both sides.
It’s like the whole illegal immigrant thing. We hear how both Republican and Democrat politicians are getting caught with their pants down about it. Possibly because their illegal Salvadoran house helper was in the back room pressing and cleaning those formerly lily-white pants.
Sure, our borders are porous, and government should do something about that. But someone in private industry is paying these folks. And a group of those someones is paying off the lobbyists that are making sure the immigration crackdowns usually don’t happen till after harvest season.
The private agricultural industrialists are also contributing to the decline in our Social Security revenue base. When was the last time a strawberry farmer paid and deducted social security tax from an undocumented worker?
Then again, when was the last time you enjoyed that cheap strawberry?
America, ya gotta love it.

No comments: