Tuesday, October 05, 2010

1347 E-Secure

Things are tough in the world of e-security these days. And there’s no easy cure. Hackers are just too dang smart. I mean heck, the other day they even hacked into Twitter.
The world is a pretty scary place when someone starts stealing stuff from something called Twitter. I hope it’s not the means to send viciously short messages. It puts the fear of God into you to imagine the havoc one could wreak sending out false tweets.
I suppose on the one hand, it’s comforting to know our youngsters aren’t bound by the bonds of propriety and are exercising the creativity to take the computer age to the next level. But it’s even more discomfiting to realize the same vandalism and lack of respect that leads to graffiti tagging underlays the amoral urge to hack.
And it’s not just regular hacking. It’s proactive phishing too. The other day a friend of mine got a call from what was apparently a woman from India. At least that’s what she sounded like. She proceeded to try to find out about my friend’s computer.
“What operating system of Microsoft do you have on your computer? Is it currently running? Then you better catch it...”
That last part was a joke. It wasn’t the old is-your-refrigerator-running do-you-have-Prince-Albert-in-the-can prank. It was a real attempt to take over someone’s computer using a fake technical diagnostic interview.
Man, the economy really has gotten bad. Now they’re outsourcing our phishing.
Things are getting crazy on the personal front too. Thank goodness I’m lucky. I had my identity stolen. But fortunately for me the guy pays his bills on time. My credit rating has actually improved.
And, bonus, he gets all my hate email.
America, ya gotta love it.

No comments: