Tuesday, May 25, 2010

1255 Last Dollar

The economy must be turning around. Standard stock market wisdom says that certain industries do better during economic downturns and some do better during upturns. Downturn industries are typically things like pawnshops and repair places.
Upturns are new cars and $5.00 latte stands.
So we must be shifting economic direction because I just saw a “going out of business” sign, but it was for, of all places, the Dollar Store.
They had sign shakers standing on the street corner, and I had to chuckle. The signs said, “Dollar Store. Going Out of Business! Everything Must Go! Nothing Held Back!”
I know, A lot on one sign for a sign shaker to hold, but they were big signs. And the different phrases were in different colors, so only one caught your eye at a time.
I’m a fast reader so I got the full impact. Made me want to grab a dollar from the loose change holder in my car right then and there.
But it made me wonder too. How do you slash prices at the dollar store? Everything’s already a dollar. Do they do different discounts? Have the regular store-closing pattern? Everything is 75 cents this week, 50 cents next week and in three weeks a quarter? What happens at four weeks? I’m thinking they’ll skip the 12 ½ cent phase and go straight to the dumpster.
I love going out of business signs that say “Everything Must Go.” Well I guess. If you’re going out of business I presume you’d like to sell everything.
And I’m glad they specified, “Nothing Held Back.” I was really worried they were going to reserve some of their elite, “only for special customers,” one-dollar inventory in the back room.
America, ya gotta love it.

No comments: