Monday, May 03, 2010

1239 Loads of Bun

I was talking to a friend yesterday and he started telling me about his mother’s bunions. Unfortunately, he told me about them two seconds after I’d passed along a joke to him that Sarah Palin having a TV show about the ecological wonders of Alaska on The Learning Channel was like Jeffrey Dahmer having a show on the cooking channel.
So when my friend started talking about bunions, my sick mind started thinking about the snackfood Funyons.
And I decided never to eat Funyons again. Not a big loss, as I was never that impressed with their less than onion ring satisfaction. And really, naming a snackfood to sound like a foot problem?
You can’t help but instantly think of other food/foot things, like corns and toe cheese.
Or go in the other direction. If things that are bun like in bunion get equated with things that are fun like in Funyon where are you? “Hey man, I really had loads of bun at the fast food joint.”
Another word got me misthinking lately when I was reading about a new lizard they discovered. Biologists who specialize in the study of lizards are called “herpetologists”. Now that’s unfortunate. That’s what we get for basing scientific stuff on dead languages like Greek and Latin.
Lizard-ologist would be better. Because “herpetologist” kind of sounds like he specializes in herpes. Crazy, until you learn they named herpes herpes because it’s a rash that creeps like a lizard. Herpes means creeping.
Creepy indeed.
Let’s hope the guy that invented Funyons doesn’t rashly bring out a new badly thought out snack food.
And call it Ferpies.
They make your tastes buds flare up with joy!
America, ya gotta love it.

No comments: