Monday, May 17, 2010

1249 Giblet

I was reading an article and it used the initials for Gay Lesbian Bisexual Transgender, G-L-B-T. But they had transposed a couple of the letters to G-B-L-T and my mind immediately jumped to an acronym pronunciation. Giblet?
Better in some ways than trying to make the G-L-B-T- into gel-bot or gull-boat. Although giblet does suffer from the soft “g” of jib instead of the hard “g” of gay.
But it got me wondering, where did we get the word giblet?
The etymology dictionary says it comes for the old French gibelet which means game stew. But somewhere along the way it came to stand for the parts some folks don’t like.
I remember my grandmother adding the turkey giblets to the Thanksgiving gravy. Culinary unsophisticate I was, I cringed. A classic holiday meal forever altered by a surprise bite of turkey liver. Even when she tried to please us kids, she still put in the turkey’s chopped up heart and kidneys.
By the way, turkey kidneys are not much different from turkey liver. They’re both a little gamey. And forgive me, innards eaters, but what’s the point of eating organs the dead animal used to filter out its toxins?
I’m thinking your average bug-picking turkey had a few environmental toxins accumulated from the insecticides and herbicides the bugs picked up on the farm. The turkey crunched those down, its liver filtered them out, and concentrated them in its chalky organ.
And you just got a big mouthful in your gravy.
Let’s hope the writer is more careful spelling the G-L-B-T- initials in the future. Because I guess the word giblet is not a good word to use.
Who needs painful reminders of bad mealtimes with relatives?
America, ya gotta love it.

No comments: